PACKING FOR A EUROPEAN WINTER #RacsSoloEuroTrip

PACKING FOR A EUROPEAN WINTER #RacsSoloEuroTrip

If you know me, you know I like to make lists and be as organized as possible! It’s kind of my good and bad habit. But this time I have a legitimate reason to make these obsessive lists. In preparation for my euro-trip, I’ve written a fully comprehensive list of absolutely everything I’ll need. I’ve thought about what I’ll need from where my skull starts, to where my feet end and every possible situation I’ll be in and the reason I’m doing this so early is because I’m going in Europe’s Winter and all the Winter clothing in Australia is slowly running out.

The thing is, is that I’ve never packed for anything like this before and I’m worried that I’ll get to England and miss something crucial; so if you can think of ANYTHING else, please comment on this post. You’ll probably be my lifesaver. For anyone considering flying to Europe in winter, this list may act as your outline!

packing for european winter

BEFORE YOU BOARD | CARRY ON BAG:

• Money (Australian/Euro/Pound, Cash Passport, Debit Card etc.)
  • Carry On Bag
  • Blanket
  • Roll-on deodorant
  • Wallet
  • Moisturizer
  • Toothpaste and toothbrush
  • Tissues
  • Lip Balm
  • Passport and copies of all travel documents (Itineraries, insurance, flight details etc).
  • Phone and phone charger (with music/games loaded)
  • Power Adapter
  • Laptop and laptop charger
  • Neck pillow and sleeping mask
  • Birth-control pills, nurofen, day and night tablets, stomach medication
  • Camera, memory cards, camera charger
  • Books to read (I prefer Paperback books, but eBooks are more portable)
  • Travel journal and pen
  • Headphones
  • Band aids
  • Plastic bags
  • Hair brush
  • Medicare/Healthcare Cards/License
  • Make-up wipes and hand sanitizer

BEFORE YOU BOARD | LUGGAGE

• Suitcase
  • Colorful ribbon
  • Nail Clippers
  • Luggage Tags
  • Cable Ties
  • French Translation Book

DAYS IN UK/EUROPE/IRELAND

• 1x small umbrella and 1x rainproof jacket
  • 2-3 beanies
  • 1x hat
  • 1x sunglasses
  • 2-3 scarfs (match with beanies)
  • 3-4 long-sleeved skin tight shirts (black/white)
  • 4-6 casual shirts
  • 1x large, warm jacket (preferably with a hood)
  • 1x hoodie
  • 7 bras
  • 10-15 pairs of underwear
  • 2-3 pairs of tights (to wear under jeans, black/white)
  • 1x set of thermals
  • 3-5 pairs of jeans
  • 1x tracksuit pants (for bus travel)
  • 3 pairs of socks
  • 1x pair of closed-toe boots
  • 1x pair thongs (or “flip-flops”)
  • 1x pair sandals
  • 1x pair gloves
  • 1x set of swimwear (just in case!)
  • 2x dresses
  • 1x shorts

NIGHTS OUT IN UK/EUROPE/IRELAND

• Fancy dress
  • Stockings (black and skin tone)
  • Trench coat

• Travel toilet paper
  • Dry Shampoo
  • Perfume
  • Make-up bag with Mascara, Foundation, Lipstick, Eyeliner
  • Body wash, face wash
  • Shampoo and Conditioner
  • Hair straightener and hair drier
  • Bobby pins and hair ties
  • Mouthwash
  • Toothbrush picks (for people with braces)
  • Razor

I am well aware that I could probably purchase some of these items overseas, but I’ll cross that hurdle when I come to it, and depending on how I go for room, I might need to cut down on some luxuries (bye, hair straightener), but I’ll keep updating this blog and again, if you can think of anything else, comment below.

FIND OUT MORE | 11 COUNTRIES IN 2017 #RacsSoloEuroTrip

FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA…

INSTAGRAM | TWITTER | FACEBOOK | YOUTUBE | PINTEREST | TUMBLR | BLOGLOVIN’

For any enquiries: EMAIL | CONTACT PAGE

Racquel Hardie
Racquel Hardie

A twenty-something Aussie girl with a love for exploring this world and telling her stories.

Find me on: Web | Twitter

10 Comments

• August 4, 2016 / 3:46 am

Thanks for this! I’m not a huge fan of selfie sticks, but the laundry bag was awesome!

• Sophia
      August 4, 2016 / 6:22 am

Ooh yes definitely a power bank – they’re a life saver!

• August 4, 2016 / 6:49 am

A power bank is basically just a power adapter, right? Or am I completely loony and they are two different things? 😂

• Sophia
        August 4, 2016 / 7:22 am

So a power bank is like a pre-charged battery pack so you can charge on the go, then you just recharge it again when you have real electricity!

• August 4, 2016 / 7:50 am

Oh okay! Awesome, I should probably invest in one, I can image it would be V handy. Thanks Sophia!

1. Sophia
    August 4, 2016 / 6:09 am

Personally I’d take more socks (thick ones!) and hoodies and only take 1/2 beanies and scarves. Hoodies are so handy to keep warm and when putting together a real outfit is an effort! And take 3 pairs of jeans, maybe 2 casual and 1 ‘fancier’ pair!

2. Sam
    August 4, 2016 / 11:54 am

I would definitely starting thinking about what you can cut from this list! I always travel with the bare minimums so that a) I can personally carry my suitcase – you cannot rely on others to always be around, plus they will normally have their own suitcase and b) you will buy more things while you are over there.
    Items that stand out to me:
    – laptop – how much will you really be utilising this? You will be busy every day and going out most nights – there isn’t a lot of down time on these bus tours. Keep in mind that you will probably have to carry this around on your person every day or risk it being stolen from your hostel!
    – shorts; even if you have a ‘warm’ day in winter this will probably just mean jeans and a hoodie, skip the warm jacket
    – sandals – same reasons as above!
    – “fancy shoes” – don’t know if these means heels or what, but can’t your dress and stockings be paired with your boots? Never pack heels – you will not wear them!
    – pick either an umbrella OR a rain jacket
    – Change beanies and scarf to 1 (maybe 2) and with everything else, stick with the minimum number.
    Things I would add:
    – a couple more pairs of socks – easy to pack inside your shoes and you may even end up wearing 2 pairs to keep your feet warm!
    – medications such as anti-diarrhea tablets and travel sickness (longs days in a bus!)
    – an extra set of thermals
    – instead of plastic bags, make them zip lock bags!
    – instead of travel toilet paper, get a bulk pack of the small packs of tissues (you know the ones in a little plastic case that have about 5 tissues inside and fit neatly in a handbag) can double as TP in an emergency but will also be useful for the runny nose you will get from the cold.

• August 4, 2016 / 10:50 pm

Thanks Sam. I plan on using my laptop every day on the long bus trips, at nights etc; so it’s definitely a must for me.
      I don’t get travel sickness/bus sickness/ sea sickness so I don’t think I’ll need meds for that, handy tips about the ziplock bags, socks and tissues though! Much appreciated xx 😊